Drug rehabilitation programs have changed a lot positively just in the past few years and it is a continuous program. Insurance companies, parents, state governments etc. are demanding the evidence for the outcome before funding on the rehabilitation programs. So drug rehab administrators are able to present outcome based evidences to show that their programs are effective.
- Drug rehab is a continuous process and the treatment for drug addiction requires long term lifestyle changes in behaviors and attitudes, and sometimes even environments. This process may take years to complete for certain individuals based on their personal histories of dependency.
- Majority of people relapse more than once and relapses do not take away the progress they have made toward achieving their goal of drug free lives.
- Old thinking was that drug rehab usually requires intensive treatment of thirty days or more and the new trend is an addict is much more likely to recover if she/he enters and completes an intensive drug rehab program, no matter whatever the time period may be.
- Intensive treatment is a residential program which requires you to live at the drug rehab center for a month or more and it also has the option of attending the classes and counseling sessions for several weeks or months.
- Dual diagnosis is a new important trend in drug rehab and this program also identifies and treats the underlying psychological problems like depression, eating disorders, hyperactivity disorder, bipolar disorder.
- Another trend in the drug rehab is that, for treating the person addicted to drugs, support from the family and the friends is required.
- A person addicted to drugs must find other ways to cope up with the stress and this can involve steps such as changing careers, ending toxic relationships, setting new goals, and taking up stress relieving activities such as sports, fine arts, or meditation. Trained counselors help the addicts to cope up through these major changes.
- After giving intensive treatment, follow up is necessary and this can be done by individual counseling, family counseling, and attending support meetings such as Narcotics Anonymous.
- Medications for treating the drug addicts are undergoing continuous changes and these helps them to withdraw from drugs and remain abstinent.
- People have more choices and diversity in selecting drug rehab programs and there are many types of payment options available for the drug addicts.
The way a drug addicted patient is being treated at rehab centers has changed rapidly in recent past. The rehab centers are using more friendlier way of treating drug addicts.