Hybrid vehicles are equipped with two or more different power sources to move the vehicle. Most popular term for hybrid cars is ‘hybrid electric vehicle’. In a hybrid electric vehicle there are two power sources, one is traditional combustion engine and the other is electric motor. In this article, we will discuss about the advantages and disadvantages of hybrid cars.
Advantages of hybrid cars
- Hybrid cars with gas powered engine and electric motor, gives the vehicle better mileage and less emissions.
- While the gas power engine is running, the energy is conserved and used by electric motor later.
- New improvements in hybrid engines are allowing better mileage, less emissions and efficiency.
- Hybrid vehicles are constructed with lesser weight material. It reduces the vehicle weight and decrease the energy usage.
- Government is offering tax benefits on hybrid vehicles.
- Each brake applied in a hybrid car can give a little electricity to charge the battery. It can eliminate the need to recharge the battery.
- There is much demand for hybrid vehicles. Sometimes it is higher than the sale price. So in resale, the earnings are higher than a gas based car.
- Some insurance companies are giving discounts just for owing a hybrid car.
- Hybrid cars emissions are 97% less toxic and more than a half carbon dioxide when compared to a normal car. So it is environmental friendly.
- The warranties by the manufacturers are really high when compared to normal cars.
- The spare parts for hybrid cars are not easily available.
- Hybrid cars have power mode and energy saver mode. The acceleration is not same as traditional car even on power mode.
- The parts like batteries are very expensive to change.
- Hybrid cars are most efficient in city traffic. But in case of highway traffic it will effect only when below forty.
- Some hybrid cars can not run on its electric motor alone, when the gas engine is off.
- Manufacturers are focusing on fuel efficiency by cutting the weight where ever possible. It tends to decrease the support in suspension and body.
Hybrid cars are basically front wheel drive. The batteries are at rear. Because of the improper weight distribution effect on performance.
In some cases hybrid cars are an advantage whereas in some cases it is a disadvantage. Before you make a purchase do some research on hybrid cars and only if you are convinced move ahead.